Welcome to my first T5W!
What is Top Five Wednesday? It’s a book meme that Lainey started and I discovered through the lovely Samantha‘s videos. I absolutely loved the idea of joining the group and making my own lists. If you’re interested you can join the goodreads group to get the topics for each week. There you can also share your posts when you’re done.
So this week’s topic is, as the title reads, Favorite Non-Canon Ships. Why are they non-canon? Because the author didn’t hear the readers’ prayers or because the two characters come from different worlds, franchises, etc.
I need to warn you that this list will contain SPOILERS for Air Awakens, The Remnant Chronicles and the Grisha trilogy! So if you haven’t read them you should stop reading or risk coming across unwanted info! If you don’t mind finding out who certain characters don’t end up with or if you’ve read these series, go ahead!
Giving non-spoilery people a bit of space so their eyes don’t wander where they’re not supposed to.
*points to the opposite direction* Wait, is that an unicorn??? 🦄
Okay, let’s do this.
(I want to point out that unless otherwise specified, I actually love the canon couples for these series!)
- Alina and the Darkling: when I went into the Grisha trilogy I had no idea what to expect in terms of ships. Eventually I ended up loving who Alina ended up with, but the first half of book one had me needing the Darkling to be endgame. It will forever haunt me that it didn’t happen, and in my mind runs a full parallel Grisha trilogy where the Darkling is redeemed somewhere around the middle of book two and has a happy ending.
- Vhalla and Daniel: Air Awakens is one of my favorite series and one of the (many) things I love about it is how relationships are portrayed. I find Vhalla’s feelings so realistic and I feel like Elise Kova did a great job handling her relationship with Daniel. Daniel is madly in love with Vhalla and she knows it, and in times of hardship when she can’t be with the person she loves, she finds solace in Daniel’s friendship, and constantly asks herself how it would be to let herself love him and be with him. She second-guesses her actions and constantly wonders if she is taking advantage of him and recognize her weakness. Daniel is such a great person and he knows Vhalla’s feelings for him are true but also don’t match his own, and he still helps her without expecting anything from her. This is a perfect case of “couple that would have been perfect if another character wasn’t in the picture”.
- Lia and Kaden: oh man. This is the only ship I’m actually mad about. The Remnant Chronicles series had me wishing for one of my favorite trope to become happen, the hate-to-love or to be more specific the assassin-to-lover trope. Sadly, that didn’t happen, and I didn’t like how Lia’s relationship with Rafe evolved, especially in the third book, where he insults her and yells at her.
- Mia (Nevernight) and Manon (Throne of Glass): now for some impossible ships! Oh man. Just imagine these two. They would totally kill each other. And then be one of the most badass throat-slitting couples and conquer the world. And Abraxos and Mr. Kindly would make the bestest of friends! 🐲🐱
- Jesper (Six of Crows) and Ronan (The Raven Boys): Can you picture them????? I mean, it’s hard to separate them from their true love interests because they’re both perfect, but just try to think about it. Jesper would totally be into car racing and maybe would give up his gambling addiction for that. Which, I don’t know what’s worse honestly. But I feel like they’d overcome their weird habits and eventually live normal lives, or as normal as it gets on Ronan’s farm.