Down the TBR Hole is a weekly meme hosted by Lia @Lost in a Story. These are the rules:
- Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf.
- Order on ascending date added.
- Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books
- Read the synopses of the books
- Decide: keep it or should it go?
(I’m doing a softcore version of this, and some books will end up on my “maybe” shelf!)
TBR count after the last post: 527
Current TBR count: 532
I really don’t know how that happend 😦
✅ = keep
❓ = maybe
❌ = remove
• Dark Breaks the Dawn by Sara B. Larson: the cover IS SO PRETTY. I added it because it’s a Swan Lake retelling but the reviews are very meh and the book itself sounds very meh just by reading the blurb. ❌
• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire by Rosamund Hodge: it has a lot of bad ratings ❌
• Life of Pi by Yann Martel: this seems one of those book you have to Get in order to enjoy. I’m generally a person who’s all for this type of book, just not lately and probably not for a while. ❌
• Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones: I am SO CONFLICTED. This is a book people apparently either love or hate and there’s no real in between. Some of my friends gave it five stars, others one star. I know I won’t feel like reading it anytime soon though. ❌
• Trial by Fire by Josephine Angelini: a lot of people one- or two-starred it and honestly it doesn’t even sound like something I’d enjoy anymore. ❌
• The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen: conflicting reviews and a goodreads blurb that would take me 5 minutes to read? No thanks ❌
• The Diviners by Libba Bray: okay, here’s the thing. I added this book because everyone keeps recommending the audiobook for it, which is apparently incredible. And folks, I’m all here for a great audiobook, and I’m even sure that if I started it I would love it, but the thing is I don’t care for this book at all, I’M SORRY. I don’t care for the 1920 aesthetics either, since we’re sharing secrets. I’m just not interested and I know even if I remove it from my TBR it’s going to appear on my timeline again, maybe at a point where I’ll feel like adding it back, but for now it’s going ❌
• Shadow Study by Maria V. Snyder: you know, I’m really conflicted about this one. I devoured MVS’ books back in…2015? I think 2015. I wasn’t a very critical reader back then so I tended to enjoy a lot of books in a not complicated way, but even then I remember having some issues with these books, especially the trilogy that comes after this sequel series. On the other hand I still enjoyed those books a lot and I’m sure the writer herself improved in the meantime. I don’t know. ❓
• 27 Days to Midnight by Kristine Kruppa: literally none of my friends have read this or even added it on goodreads?? Maybe 2016!me found the blurb super appealing or something but yeah I don’t even know man. ❌
• Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales by Kiersten White: this sounds really fun and all but I don’t usually pick up middle grade books unless I have an ARC, so this just a matter of not having time for everything. ❌
FINAL TBR COUNT: 523
Have you read any of these? Do you agree with my decisions to keep/remove them from my TBR? Let me know!